The Holiday Party
The holiday party season is upon us, and it seems at every turn and on every radio station we’re constantly reminded “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.” And it can be, if you do some planning. In reality, holiday parties are often a source of stress. Plus many employers have said “bah humbug” to the company holiday party. It’s easy to understand why – they can be expensive, a hassle to plan, and employees have other commitments during the holidays so attendance is not always what you’d hope it would be, right?
So why should a company host a holiday party at all?
Well, despite the common complaints, The Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club has annually witness several reasons to keep the party going. Below are our top four that we’ve had director feedback on.
One, it builds culture. If you’re trying to establish your company culture (or if you already have one and want to reinforce it), the holiday party is a great opportunity to demonstrate what you’re all about. If you try to prioritize individual recognition, have an awards ceremony during the party. If establishing strong customer relations is your thing, consider inviting clients to the celebration. Plus, parties at locations like The Naples Beach Hotel and Golf Club are just flat our fun! Your employees want to have a good time, right? While it might seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, having a holiday party at a great location shows you’re a company that values employees’ happiness, and that you’re a genuinely fun place to work.
Two, It boosts morale. Ending the year on a high note with some fun and festivity can boost morale, leaving employees with a high opinion of the company and their work as they break for the holidays. As well, it’s an ideal way to kick off the New Year on optimistic footing, empowering your team to return ready to run at full speed.
Three, depending on the size of your business, it could help you and your employees get to know one another better. Getting to know your employees as people, not simply as workers, is essential for teams to succeed. Interacting with your employees at a social gathering is an excellent way to accomplish this goal. Often times employees only get to interact with others within their department. Having an inclusive company holiday party affords your co-workers the opportunity to meet and mingle with people they might not otherwise get to talk to on a regular basis. Employee bonding in a social context is a key element of team building, which is necessary to produce the best results. And regardless of the bottom line, it’s just fun to get to know new people, especially in such a festive setting!
Four, it shows gratitude in a personal way. No doubt, giving your employees a year-end cash bonus or extra PTO is a pretty good way to say thank you for their hard work. However, they will also appreciate a more personal way of showing gratitude. Having a party for them says that you value them as both employees and people; that they aren’t just a faceless entity you can throw a check at and call it personal recognition. If you really want to go the extra mile, you can hand out “awards” to employees at the party to show them that you truly appreciate their contribution to your organization.
So get the party started. Just give your professional party planner at the Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club a call, and make a date. We’re here to help. Below is a checklist you might want to consider before calling:
- Set a Date
- Send a survey to employees with date options; Choose the date with the majority vote; Send a “save the date”
- Budget It
- Determine the maximum budget; Rank party elements by priority (entertainment, food, etc.); Allocate budget based on priority (25% for food, 40% for entertainment, etc.); Set aside some extra—just in case!
- Type of Party
- After-hours party; Lunch-During the Day; Formal event; Casual affair; Themed party
- Tip: No matter which party you choose, make sure it’s inclusive to everyone if possible
- Will you need to furnish it?
- Sit-down dinner with servers; Buffet; Floating appetizers (with wait staff or placed on a table?)
- Tip: Watch for allergies!
- Open bar; Drink tickets; Just beer and wine; Holiday-themed cocktails
- High-energy beats for dancing; Low-key tunes; DJ; Live entertainment; A coworker’s awesome Spotify playlist
- Photographer; Photobooth; Raffle; Time and space for “thank you” speeches; Holiday goody bags
That’s about it. Hope you hear from you soon, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from all of us at The Naples Beach Hotel & Golf Club.